Monday, July 2, 2012

Perspective


I think perspective is one thing that is amazing. Every one of us has a different perspective which causes us to act one way or another. When you hear one side of a story you may think a certain way, until you hear the other side. Then you might think entirely differently. If you are close minded, you may be blocking yourself from really knowing the whole truth. It is sometimes easy to act when you hear one side, only to find out that you were wrong. Sometimes that is a hard pill to swallow. I can’t count the number of times that this has happened to me. Then I have to suffer the consequence of my action, which is usually embarrassment. Because I didn’t know the whole story I said something that I shouldn’t have. 
I have learned, over time, to slow down, and to try to get all of the facts before I rush to judgment. The Bible says we should be slow to anger, but quick to forgive. But do we really do this? This is one thing I try to keep in mind when it comes to my perspective of things. Patient responses would be the best for me, but I’m not always as patient as I should be. This seems to affect all areas of my life; from settling a dispute between my kids, to conversations with my boss, or even in a leadership position at church. It is best to withhold judgment and get the whole perspective. Proverbs says one who keeps his mouth shut appears to be wise until he opens it and proves otherwise (Keith’s paraphrased version). My opinion is only my perspective and may be wrong depending on the facts.
Pressing on with excellence!
Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment